Sunday, July 31, 2011

There was a Young Lady Whose Bonnet

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Collection - The Costume Institute
Bonnet, American, 1890


There was a Young Lady whose bonnet,
Came untied when the birds sate upon it;
But she said: 'I don't care!
All the birds in the air
Are welcome to sit on my bonnet!'

~ Edward Lear



While doing some research for a project, and looking for some inspiration, I came across the most grotesque bonnet from the The Costume Institute Collection at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I don't even know what to say about it really.  A mad hatter indeed!

One can but only wonder if, by chance, the owner commissioning the hat was in despair at the loss of her beloved exotics and thought to immortalize them and at the same time keep them in her company.  Or perhaps a friend traveling in Europe wrote of the latest fashion trends there, and this was the result of her interpretation. I'm just kidding.

"The entire bird is used, and is mounted on wires and springs that permit the head and wings to be moved about in the most natural manner."  ~ Harper's Bazaar, 1875

The use of feathers, wings and whole birds as fashion embellishments was at it's peek during the last quarter of the 19th century. Spectacular effects and varied colours were obtained and added height and bearing to the lady wearing them.  

As for any of my future bonnet creations, I do not feel that I need to strive to be that historically accurate in millinery bird usage. 

No comments: